Monday, March 14, 2011

Russia - Jackie from Westmont

SPRING 2011
Over Spring break all of the study abroad students had the chance to go to Russia! Moscow for two and half days and St. Petersburg for four days. It was amazing!! Moscow was really cool because most of the traveling that we did was underground when getting around in the city. The metro system is amazing! There is basically a city underneath a city. So cool! St. Petersberg seemed bigger because we spent more time above ground, but in either case it seems like Russia's rule of thumb is "go big or go home." There was so much to see and so much to experience. St. Petesburg especially was so full of culture. I loved the Hermitage Museum and the cathdrals that we got to see.

One of my favorite experiences was when we got to go be a part of a Russian Orthodox service. It is so different from any church service I have ever experienced. It was so full of tradition and sacredness. It was amazing to see how moved people were by the images of saints and Jesus on the walls of the cathedrals and by the routine that the preist went through.

I wish I could describe more of what I experienced but it is one of those things that you have to experience for yourself. Only you can decide what you will get out of a week in Russia with your fellow study abroads and a fearless leader. It is a chance to learn a lot and grow even more. I would not change any moment that I had this past week.

No comments:

Post a Comment