Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Viskas - Alyssa from APU

As I have been living in Lithuania for 4 months now, and have come to the end of the semester, there is only one word that comes to my mind to sum up this experience: viskas (pronounced vis-kus). Obviously, this is a Lithuanian word that most of you aren't familiar with. Depending on who you ask, viskas can have multiple meanings. For example, when ordering food and you want to say "That's all," you would say "viskas." Or, if someone asks how you are doing you would say, "Viskas gerai," which means, "everything is good." I have learned that you can pretty much say "viskas" in any situation in which you want to get across the end of something, the completion, the end, the entirety, everything.

Alas, as I sit here on the couch in the 4th East lounge of Neumann Hall (which has been my faithful hang out spot for the semester) and as I watch the clock tick down the 6 hours, 45 minutes, and 30 seconds until I leave for the airport, all I can say to you is: viskas. My semester is done, my studies are complete, my friends have left, we have said goodbyes, and I (hope) my tears have stopped flowing. Viskas. This is it. I feel a great sense of completion and yet a profound sense of sadness because the end of something is not always a happy viskas.

Remember my first post about trying to fit my entire life into one suitcase? If not, you should read it. And then come back and read this. Because that first post sounds so trivial to me now. I was bringing 50 pounds of things that I really didn't need. Honestly, I could have survived with less than half of what I brought. This semester has been such a whirlwind for me and I will have more time to process it and blog about it in a couple weeks when I am back in the United States. But for now, I still have 10 days ahead of me to explore France and Germany with my sister.

So for now, I can say viskas. Viskas indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment