Thursday, September 15, 2011

Lithuwhatia? - Jared form Messiah

Lithuwhatia? Lithuwhereia? I am pretty sure that I heard it all before I left my home in Pennsylvania. After the hundredth time of explaining Lithuania is an actual country and giving quick geography lessons things got a little repetitive. Then next thing I knew I was on the plane flying over the Atlantic Ocean. Most of the Study Abroad group was already in the capital city of Vilnius but Kimi Curtis, Iulia Gafencu, Sara Swaciak, Natalie Anders and I were still sitting on the plane with a men and women’s Lithuanian basketball team. After landing and getting our luggage we walked through the dimly lit corridors and entered our new home for the next four months. A brass ensemble greeted us and cameras were flashing all around us! Everyone was waving Lithuanian flags and cheering! “Welcome to Lithuania!” said a man as he waved for us to come toward him. “We wanted to give you a good greeting!”

Now for all of you who are amazed at our greeting, I am sorry but I am going to have to pop your bubble. The brass ensemble and waving flags were for the basketball teams not the five of us. Emas our experience coordinator guided us out of the airport and to the bus that was waiting to take us to the hostel were we would spend our first few days in Lithuania as we toured the capital city. As we loaded onto the bus I looked around me. This was going to be an interesting trip.

Now I could go on and on with all the things that happened that first week but already I am somewhere around two hundred and eighty two words and chances are you are starting to say where is this guy going with this so I will spare you a detailed explanation of the first few days. Instead let me say our time in Vilnius was great and now I am settled in here at LCC and I am sure that there will be plenty more that will happen. But until then I want to leave you with this thought. Nahum 1:7 says “The Lord is good a stronghold in the day of trouble and He knoweth those that trust in Him.” No matter what happens whether we are studying in a foreign country or sitting at a computer reading this blog the Lord is good. He is our stronghold and He knows us. What a great and mighty God we have!

No comments:

Post a Comment