Sunday, October 23, 2011

Keep Your Stick on the Ice… or should I say Floor - Drew from Taylor

A dream has come true for one of the study-abroad’s this semester. His dream of playing hockey in Europe has become a reality… of sorts.  Every Wednesday night, a group of students and faculty face-off for a night of fun and adrenaline. That’s right. It’s hockey night in Lithuania!

Ice hockey has been my favorite sport as long as I can remember, growing up in the foothills of Colorado. The cold weather was always a good sign. The ponds froze over, the snow fell, and we laced up our skates. My brother played goalie, while I played forward and defense. It is truly a favorite pastime in our house, as I grew up watching players from all over the world play for my team the Colorado Avalanche.

So, naturally sports have always been important to me. When I arrived, I really had no idea LCC had such great sports programs. People play all the time. It’s even easier than playing intramurals. You don’t have to sign up. You just have to show up. I have found it’s a great way to really hang out with my friends and meet new people. Think of it this way, you have a good time, get a workout, and basically have an excuse to get out of the room. What is better than that? The teams are usually split up into faculty vs. students, which is of course, the dream game of every student after a tough week of classes.

The entire day during classes it’s all I can think about. Whenever I pass a player I shout, “see ya at 8!” We all meet in the gym and split off into teams sometimes rotating with three teams depending on how many people. Once the puck drops, all you hear is the squeaking of shoes, the grunts of focused players, and of course the shouts of victory as I score another goal. All I can say is… awesome!! Simply awesome! I plan on playing the rest of the semester. Whenever I find myself in the middle of a stressful week, I think to myself, if I can just make it to Wednesday…

1 comment:

  1. See you on the floor after you get back from Russia, Drew! It's been really fun and I can relate to your anxious waiting of Wednesday night. Raimondas.

    ReplyDelete