Thursday, November 10, 2011

Concert - Anders from Bethel

One thing that I gotta say is pretty cool about LCC is that they have some great opportunities to see events and things on campus.  For example, when I saw in the little event email that there just so happened to be a concert opportunity in the main auditorium, I couldn't help but take a gander to see who was going to be there.  I saw that it was a solo piano artist who would be playing some great pieces from all the great composers.  I was so there.

When I finally did show up, I must say that I wasn't too surprised that there were only about ten people in the whole auditorium.  Clearly classical isn't everyone's cup o' tea.  I guess it would be an almost private event.  Sweet.  The only problem that soon became clear, however, was that this guy did not speak a word of English.  Needless to say, that was a bit of a bummer, but it turned out alright because it forced me to listen extra intently to what he said when introducing the pieces.  If I was lucky, I caught the name of a composer that I recognized.  It was alright, though, because in the end, it's the music that matters and the language barrier would dissolve.  No problem.

Except there was a problem...  Just as soon as he sailed into the heart of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, a shrill cry pierced through to my very soul.  One of the sustain pedals was squeaking and squawking like an old automobile horn.  Wonderful.  Maybe it will go away?  It didn't.  Right when he would get to the most beautifully quiet moment of any piece, it was as if someone were scraping their fingernails across a chalkboard.

Thankfully, however, the pianist was very talented indeed, and I soon forgot all about the squeaky pedal in all its frustrating shenanigans.  As one piece glided into another, I was struck at several moments by the talent of this musician before us.  In the end, it was a rather enjoyable time.  I just wish I had had a can of WD-40...

No comments:

Post a Comment