Sunday, November 13, 2011

An Extra Hour - Diana from Cornerstone

Today I accidently went an hour early to church -- I guess my lessons in reading clocks in third grade did not really pay off. But it turned out to be a really good thing because I got to discover a nice place for walking. Close to where the church meets, I found a little valley of sorts with an offshoot of the river and an island in the middle. It was so beautiful to walk around the island and cross the pretty bridge that led to and from it. Also on my walk, I discovered a book sitting on the shore. It looked rather lonely and abandoned, so I picked it up. It is in the syrillic alphabet. I looked around, and it didn't look like anyone was in a rush to get back to their book they had left behind. So, moral or not, I took the book.
 
When I got back home after church, my roommate from Ukraine, who is fluent in Russian, told me it was a book that was praising people who defended the USSR. She translated a bit for me, and it was very red. I decided that even if I ever become fluent in Russian, it didn't sound like the kind of thing I would really enjoy reading. So instead, I tried to think of what I could do with it. I decided to make it into my scrapbook of my trip. So now I am starting to go through all the brochures and ticket stubs from all the places I've been since I've been here -- Tallinn, Riga, Stockholm, Klaipeda, Vilnius, Moscow, St. Petersburg... So many beautiful places! It is fun to go back and remember my adventures and realize I still have time to create more!

No comments:

Post a Comment