Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I love Moscow! - Diana from Cornerstone


Today we will be taking the train from Moscow to St. Petersburg. It seems like we could spend years and years in Moscow alone just to begin to get a taste of what it's really like. Three days would never be enough to understand any town, least of all the legendary city of Moscow. It is so bizarre to have that incredible feeling of being in the square where so many things have happened.

When we got here Saturday morning after taking the night train from Riga, we went to the Red Square and pretty much spent most of the afternoon around there. That night we went to the circus! What a great show. It was so fun. I felt like a little kid because all the silliest things can get you laughing so hard! The last act was a walrus, which was such an interesting animal! I'm not sure if I had ever seen one before.

Yesterday, we walked around town, toured St. Basil's cathedral, and then spent all that was left of our summer earnings at the souvenir market!

Today we visited Lenin in his mausoleum. It was one of the strangest things I've ever done.

Then we split up to visit two different museums. Some people went to a museum with old religious icons. I went with about half of our group to a museum with late 19th century and 20th century art. It was really thought-provoking. It is always fascinating to me how modern art and older portraits or religious paintings can all be classified as Art -- that there is something outside of the paintings that connects them all together.

Well, tonight we will arrive in St. Petersburg. I have been re-reading Crime and Punishment -- my favorite novel -- to get into the mood for St. Petersburg. I am so curious to explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment