Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Network of Humanity - Kim from APU


Traveling on my own challenged me to think outside of my comfort zone: because I didn't have one. I had to rely on the kindness of strangers and trust that everything was going to work out. If anything I gained the knowledge of believing in a network of human kindness…While traveling I saw the kindness and compassion of strangers, whether letting us sleep on a floor, helping with directions, or just simply trying to do their best to understand English. I have also learned that no problem is too large to overcome. No matter what tomorrow is another day and your problems today will end with the beginning a new refreshing moment…

So as I begin to settle into a new routine I have decided to be BRAVE. To not allow myself to hide in my room or make up excuses for not participating, I am going to be a risk taker. I am going to throw myself outside of my comfort zone, literally throw/hurl/ wildly shake myself out, because I do not want to miss an opportunity to learn from being uncomfortable. The funny thing about humans is that we often underestimate our own abilities. We say we can't, when in actuality we are fully capable but are simply afraid. I'm don't want to not be afraid, in fact I want to face my fears boldly and do exactly what it is I'm afraid of.

Our Lithuanian friend we met on a bus on the way to the Baden-Baden airport in Germany. It was just as random as it sounds. Photo by Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment