Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Tutoring - Rebecca from George Fox

I've started tutoring a 14 year old girl named Jelena (pronounced "Yelena") in English. She speaks enough English that I can have a conversation with her, but I'm still getting the hang of this whole TESOL thing. During each 1 hour tutoring session, we do grammar worksheets and I struggle to explain why exactly the past participle of "forget" is "forgotten" and then I force her to speak English for the rest of the time. Sometimes I have her read short stories out loud to help expand her vocabulary, so trying to explain what certain verbs mean involves me doing some pretty embarrassing miming to get the meaning across. I also ask her lots and lots of questions about her life in Lithuania and even when she struggles to find the right word in English (which is when Google translate comes in handy), I have so enjoyed learning from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment