Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Roommates - Courtney from APU



Top: Hedi and Irsana; Bottom: Courtney, Nastia and Yulia. Photo by Courtney

I have to dedicate one post to my roommates because they are absolutely the best and God-sent group of girls. Israna, Yulia, and Hedi are from Russia and Nastia is from Lithuania’s neighboring country of Belarus. They all speak Russian and I’m learning new words every day along with some Lithuanian. Each one of these girls is completely open and welcoming. 

Making Sushi together. Photo by Courtney
They are excited that I am here and are intentional about getting to know me. Everything about them is refreshing. They work like a team and value friendship so deeply. We have teatime together and always talk about what is going on during the day. I know it has only been a few days but I feel like we are sisters in some ways. God has blessed me beyond what I could have imagined. I am so thrilled to be a part of their lives. One of the best parts of my days here is speaking in Russian with them and learning as best as I can to communicate with them in their native language. I absolutely find it fascinating to watch them speak in Russian to each other. It is pretty fun to guess what they are saying. I have so much respect for them because each one of them knows at least three languages. Also, on Friday night I got to learn how to make homemade sushi with them.

Irsana and Hedi are sisters who are only a year and 1 hour a part and Yulia lives with them in one room. I live with Nastia in the other room. The rooms are very big for a college dorms but I really enjoy them. I’ve never had a desk where I could completely spread all my work out and then have space left over.

I do admit that I feared the worst coming into this semester with my roommates. I have had not good experiences in the past so I was ready to accept just being roommates with them. However I am so blown away about how kind and compassionate they all are. Each one has had such unique life experiences and I cannot wait to get to know them better every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment