Monday, February 4, 2013

Obstacles - Samantha from Eastern

I finished my first week at my internship; it’s not very easy but I really want to do well. I’m working in a school in town and I’m helping to design an afterschool program for the kids. If I was at an English speaking school, this would be super easy but, because of the language barrier, this is one of the hardest things I’ve done. I want to get to know the kids so that I can see what they would like to do but because I can’t talk to them the job is really tough. The teacher that I’m working with is really sweet but she isn’t very sure of her ability to speak English, so that’s another hurdle for me. There were times this past week when I didn’t think I’d be able to do it but by the end of the week, the kids were excited to see me and that makes it worth it. If nothing else, I’m going to be able to make staying after school a little more enjoyable for kids and I’ll pick up a few new words along the way (they love to help me with my Lithuanian!). I know this won’t be a waste even if it’s pretty tiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment